Please click the icon for a downloadable version of my resume.
Simpson College, Indianola, IA.
Bachelor of Arts Degree (December 2016)
Majors: English, Multimedia Journalism
Minor: Studio Art (Graphic Design Concentration)
Business Reporter at Ames Tribune. Ames, IA
• Conduct interviews and network with community members, government representatives and business owners
• Write articles according to AP Style for a daily newspaper publication
• Create multimedia elements for digital publication, including photo, video and interactive graphics, along with maintaining a constant social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram
News Assistant at Ames Tribune. Ames, IA
• Compiled and rewrote submitted content and calendar items according to AP Style
• Wrote news articles on general assignment
Content Coordinator at Homemakers Furniture. Urbandale, IA
• Composed weekly blog posts about furniture and home décor
• Wrote and proofread content for newsletters, social media, website and promotional materials
• Moderated and responded to product reviews; lead product review campaign to increase social media and website review engagement
Events and Mission Promotion at Community Support Advocates. Des Moines, IA
• Designed marketing materials and sponsorship proposals using Adobe programs
• Updated and maintained social media platforms and the organization’s website
• Planned and oversaw a community carnival fundraiser that attracted more than 500 attendees
Marketing Intern at HOPE Agency. Des Moines, IA
• Photographed events and staged images for marketing purposes.
• Designed marketing materials and created promotional videos for the organization.
• Assisted in logo creation and website/ social media upkeep.
Marketing Intern at Cognizant Technology Solutions. Des Moines, IA
• Assisted with the planning, organizing, scheduling, and running of a booth at the Iowa State Fair.
• Created print and digital materials for both internal and external uses such as presentations, event write-ups, posters and flyers.
Marketing Intern for Partners in Family Development. Indianola, IA
• Update and maintain social media platforms, primarily utilizing Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
• Create all marketing materials including, but not limited to, brochures, posters, flyers, advertisements and magnets.
• Rebranded the organization including logo design and website creation.
Website Designer at Cornell University. Ithaca, NY
• Used basic knowledge of CSS and HTML to create a website for the Carl Sagan Planet Walk while also improving/ updating a website for Cornell's Space Sciences research website.
• In addition to other tasks, I was also in charge of organizing Cornell's Lakefest 2015 Conference, bringing professionals from across the country for a week-long workshop.
Leadership and Organizations
Founder Simpson Poets Society. Indianola, IA
• Encourage creative expression by organizing events for students interested in spoken work poetry.
Founder of SELF (Body Image Advocates). Indianola, IA
• Co-founded a campus organization with a purpose of encouraging positive self image and educating college students who may battle with negative body image, self esteem, or related disorders.
• Responsible for budget, advertisement, and event organization.
•Utilized social media to advertise the organization.
Art Editor of Sequel. Indianola, IA
• Utilized Adobe InDesign to layout book content.
• Created book cover in Adobe Photoshop using my own original artwork.
• Responsible for layout of content, creating index, and organizing content in an interesting, creative, and eye-catching way.
Student Media Involvement
FlipSide Editor for Simpsonian. Indianola, IA
• Responsible for writing and designing the backside of the Simpsonian weekly newspaper.
• Utilizing Adobe Aftereffects and Adombe Premier Pro to make videos that accomany articles.
• Use of photography skills to take photos to print with weekly article.
Editor-In-Cheif of ID Magazine. Indianola, IA
• Responsible for the overall publication of Simpson College's bi-annual magazine publication.
• Responsible for writing articles, designing page layout, and delegating tasks to my chosen group of staff writers.
• Will be accountable for all content of the magazine and for meeting the deadlines required for successful publication.
Simpsonian News Reporter & Layout Assistant. Indianola, IA
• Wrote a minimum of one article per week.
• Duties included conducting at least 2 in-person interviews for each article, taking photographs for print, writing for social media, and following AP guidelines.
• Assisted with the weekly newspaper's print layout using Adobe InDesign.
• Designed the Simpsonian's Flipside page - able to use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to create layout and design.
Awards and Honors
Iowa College Media Association. 1st Place for Best Print Design.
Awarded at the ICMA conference (2016-17) for my print newspaper design on social media etiquette. The judge stated in the results, "I absolutely loved this page. Layout is very eye appealing, easy to read and follow, good graphics. Overall, a top notch job."
Iowa College Media Association. 2nd Place for Best Profile Story.
Awarded at the ICMA conference (2015-16) for my article titled "‘Dated’ accessibility for disabled students a wintertime hazard." This article prompted conversations between disabled students on campus and the college administration, which eventually led to several improvements made for campus accessibility.
Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) Presidential Award
I was awarded the HOBY Presidential Award for completing over 200 service hours in a single year.
Silver Chord Award. Newell, IA
I completed 50 hours of volunteer service per year and was awarded the Silver Chord Award upon my graduation.